Saturday, February 7, 2009

BATGIRL

So lately, I have had the opportunity to work with some of the crew from Rideau, because it's under renovations. I share my office with the lovely Alexandra, and she came in the other day with a bag that said batgirl was a librarian. I totally forgot that batgirl had a day job. I think that's the coolest thing. It beats the following personas of librarians....

In the public psyche, a librarian is a woman of indeterminate age, who wears spectacles; a person with either a timorous disposition or an austere disposition, wearing a long sleeved blouse buttoned to the neck; someone who loves silence, likes books, and suffers people. Librarians don't laugh. They are covered with a thin film of dust. They have pale skins, which, when touched (as if one ever could) might flake and prove to be reptilian scales."~ Alison Hall, "Behind the Bun, or Batgirl was a Librarian "




So, my question is "why do men like librarians so much"?
If we all looked like batgirl, then maybe. But common'.

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

hey! you're pretty lovely yourself! VA is my new favourite away-from-work place to work (shhhh don't tell the others or they'll be hurt).

i think men are fascinated by facade and artifice: the artifice of the prim secretary/librarian.... Plus after awhile it just becomes a cliche that no one questions or thinks about anymore.

You know what I found funny? Last week (or around then) Lisa Loeb got married, and, like 3 librarian blogs that I follow mention it. Kris and I were like, what's with the librarians crushing on Lisa Loeb? Then we decided it's totally the glasses. Apparently we lust after our own stereotype...